struts-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: composable RequestProcessor
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 14:24:59 GMT
At 8:05 -0600 6/2/03, David Graham wrote:
>I'm against mimicing Filters because that's the container's job.  If
>we want Filter behavior then we should design the RequestProcessor
>as a set of Filters.

And this is probably a good thing to look at for Struts 2.0 (as I
believe Craig had mentioned in passing a long time ago on this list.)

At 21:14 +0800 6/2/03, Andrew Hill wrote:
><ramble-on>
>Come to think of it, when is struts going to depend on servlet 2.3 and no
>longer support 2.2? If thats slated for struts 1.2 perhaps you could ditch
>the AS and RP completely and do something with filters? - though I suppose
>you still want to organise things a bit more than that so the hooks are
>called at the right time I guess, so the AS/RP dynamic duo would stay but
>could be implemented as filters.
></ramble-on>

According to the Struts Roadmap at
<http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/status.html>, 2.2 will remain the
baseline for all Struts 1.x, and 2.3 will probably be the baseline
for Struts 2.0.  That page notes that Struts 2.x will probably be
using filters, although not specifically in the context of the
Request Processor.

Remember that the Roadmap is not gospel, but just a distillation of
mailing list consensus.  But if Struts 1.x is to maintain backwards
compatibility, it can't begin depending on Servlet 2.3.

With 1.1 apparently nearing a release, is it time yet to begin
serious architecture discussions for Struts 2.0?

Joe

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com
"If nature worked that way, the universe would crash all the time."
	--Jaron Lanier