struts-dev mailing list archives

From "David Graham" <dgraham1...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: composable RequestProcessor
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 14:11:55 GMT
>An interface should be easy to construct aggregated request processors.
>If you are saying
>
>import org.apache.struts.mythical.RequestProcessorInterface;
>
>class FooRequestProcessor implements RequestProcessorInterface
>{
>     RequestProcessInterface   tiles = new TilesRequestProcessor();
>     RequestProcessInterface   jndi = new JndiRequestProcessor();
>
>     public Action doForward( ... ) {
>	return tiles.doForward( ... );
>     }
>
>     public void processRole( ... ) {
>       jndi.processRole(...);
>     }
>
>     public void processRole( ... ) {
>       jndi.processRole(...);
>     }
>
>     public void processBoth( ... ) {  // Invented method!!
>       jndi.processBoth(...);
>       tiles.processBoth(...);
>     }
>}

That's exactly what I had in mind.

>Yes. You can get away with interface. Obviously it is not
>the generic ideal solution, but you can aggregate the functionality
>of the request processor however you like. Sure coding is a pain.

Can you explain why it's not generic, ideal, and a pain to code?  To me, it
looks straightforward.  Remember that this functionality is to support the
*few* people that will need it.  Most Struts apps will use the standard
RequestProcessor or TilesRequestProcessor.  Simple is better in edge cases
:-).

If we want to configure each method of the processor in struts-config.xml we
may as well design it as Servlet Filters.

>Yes. It is also backwards compatible with 1.1RC1/CVS
>
>Deja vu multiple inheritance C++/. Surely not?!

This is standard OO composition, not a mimic of multiple inheritance (yuck).

David