struts-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Gerrard <ch...@gerrard.net>
Subject Stuts can't "get its act together" - JavaPro
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:07:20 GMT
I found this announcement today on JavaPro's August Issue online "In Brief"
site:
http://www.ftponline.com/javapro/2003_08/magazine/departments/inbrief/default.asp

The blurb:
Developer Tools
TurboM2
Tired of waiting for The Apache Group to get its act together with the
Struts initiative, Virtuas has launched a framework of its own. Virtuas
released TurboM2 previously under the name Web Application Model (WAM).
Since then, the company decided to alter the product to perform many of the
features Struts offers, and like Struts will be released under the open
source model.

There's more, but on casual inspection it appears that JavaPro has simply
regurgitated some marketing poo from Virtuas intended to convey the
impression that Struts is in a funk and not moving forward. (so one should
naturally move to Virtuas' TurboM2 product)

Upon casual inspection it appears that TurboM2 is a fairly direct clone of
Struts. On of Virtuas' value-added claims is that TurboM2 has available
support and training that Struts does not.

Links:
Virtuas TurboM2: http://www.turbom2.org/index.html
Struts/TurboM2 comparison: http://www.turbom2.org/docs/Comparison.pdf

The part that disturbs me is JavaPro's presenting this whole pile as if it
were truth. Someone reading this article could well be persuaded that yes,
indeed, Struts is in trouble and they should look elsewhere. I've been less
than impressed with JavaPro's content for some time, and this erodes my
confidence in their editorial control and knowledge of the Java world even
further.