struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PLAN] Release Struts RC2 with FileUpload RC1
Date Sat, 07 Jun 2003 10:34:21 GMT
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> +1 ... thanks to all the committers for pitching in and getting us this
> close to 1.1 final!

I also want to mention that I do appreciate all the work people have put
into moving most of our core components over to the Commons. While it
slowed the release of this particular product down, I do believe it is
helping to accelerate work by the rest of the Java community.

The Java community now has at their disposal production-quality releases
of packages like the BeanUtils, Collections, Digester, FileUpload,
Validator, not to mention Lang and Logging, along with many others we
never dreamed of when the Commons was founded. I'm seeing these packages
crop up in products all over the net as well as in applications created
by in-house teams. (Which, after all, is the point of the exercise!)

Bootstrapping the Commons is in itself a much greater accomplishment
that any release of Struts could ever be. The ASF agrees, and based on
the success of the Commons has started its own top level project
(http://commons.apache.org/).

Of course, it would have been nice if we could have moved the packages
over and managed to ship interim releases too, but hindsight is always
20:20. =:0)

So, we didn't finish the work on Resources before 1.1, but there is
always 1.2. In the end, I hope that Struts becomes a true
component-based framework, showing just one way that all the "cool
tools" in the Commons can play well together.

-Ted.