struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: composable RequestProcessor
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 19:05:46 GMT
Jeff Robertson wrote:
> Wow. Mr. Husted, this may seem like an obvious conclusion to you, but to me
> (and probably others as well) this is a big "hey, why didn't I think of
> that!" moment.

I know the feeling -- I just got it reading the latest docs for the
Struts Workflow extension =:0)

IMHO, Matthais is pointing out a very real issue with the current
architecture. It's moving in the right direction, but doesn't go far
enough. In order to bring out extensions like Workflow, he has to do a
special Tiles version. People really shouldn't have to do that, and the
implication is either the Tiles or RequestProcessor implementations are
falling short of the mark.

I don't know when a version of Struts based on Filters will be
available. But I do know that if someone came up with a implementation
of a composable RequestProcessor that worked like the Validator, I'd
probably commit it.

One day, this work all may be obviated by Filters, but until then, it
would be a good way to see how Filters might be used in Struts 2.0.

I also think that given the codebase for the Validator and the existing
RequestProcessor, it's not that much of a stretch. If we define the
interface right, we should be able to keep the original
RequestProcessor, so the whole composible thing becomes a bleeding-edge
option, and not a required implementation.

-Ted.