struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Brandon Goodin" <m...@phase.ws>
Subject RE: Yes, it's another VOTE: RELEASE STRUTS 1.1 WITH DBCP NIGHTLY BUILD
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 17:55:31 GMT
How is it that DBCP works well in Tomcat and not struts? Is Tomcat's
conneciton pooling services as buggy as DBCP in struts? I have been using
DBCP in Tomcat for some time with no problems. If Tomcat is released with
DBCP then why isn't it good enough for Struts?

Brandon Goodin

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Germuska [mailto:Joe@Germuska.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 11:36 AM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: Yes, it's another VOTE: RELEASE STRUTS 1.1 WITH DBCP
NIGHTLY BUILD

>Everyone agrees that 1.1 is long overdue yet it seems that we can't
>let go of it and release it.  It's irresponsible to hold up the
>release because of a DataSource package with 0-2 developers
>supporting it.  My guess is that many people won't care; if they do,
>they can hop over to DBCP and get it fixed.
>
>I think after pool and fileupload go final we should have another
>RC2 vote.  I hope that anyone who votes -1 because of DBCP will chip
>in to fix it.

I think that Ted's suggestion of rolling back to the
GenericDataSource is the best one.  It seems that there must be very
few people using DBCP with struts, or it would have more champions
here and it wouldn't be slated to go out the door with a future
release.

At 6:14 AM -0400 5/8/03, Ted Husted wrote:
>In Struts 1.0, we had our own GenericDataSource. GDS works, but only
>so well. In Struts 1.1, being good citizens, we've been trying to
>migrate to DBCP. For backward-compatibility, DBCP is actually being
>called from inside a wrapper that makes it look like the GDS.

As long as the "only so well" is less buggy than the DBCP
implementation, it seems like abandoning DBCP would be totally
reasonable, particularly if DBCP can't get a full release and very
few Struts users are actually depending on its functionality.  More
dramatic changes (like actual API changes) have already happened
during the 1.1 development process...

Joe

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com
"If nature worked that way, the universe would crash all the time."
	--Jaron Lanier