struts-dev mailing list archives

From "David Graham" <dgraham1...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Yes, it's another VOTE: RELEASE STRUTS 1.1 WITH DBCP NIGHTLY BUILD
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 13:51:20 GMT
>The core issue is that we need a default DataSource connection pool for the
>datasource element.

No we don't.  1.1 needs this default but I'm suggesting that 1.2 change the
<data-source type=""> attribute to required and have people supply a
DataSource implementation themselves (they could choose DBCP if they like
but it would be a separate download).  Most, if not all, containers provide
a JNDI configuration and lookup service that apps get DataSources from
anyways.

Everyone agrees that 1.1 is long overdue yet it seems that we can't let go
of it and release it.  It's irresponsible to hold up the release because of
a DataSource package with 0-2 developers supporting it.  My guess is that
many people won't care; if they do, they can hop over to DBCP and get it
fixed.

I think after pool and fileupload go final we should have another RC2 vote.
I hope that anyone who votes -1 because of DBCP will chip in to fix it.

David