struts-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "David Graham" <>
Subject Re: VOTE (enough already!): Release Struts RC2 with FileUpload Beta 2
Date Thu, 29 May 2003 13:47:18 GMT
I agree that deprecating methods does not require a new beta.  We don't 
guarantee backwards compatibility between betas.  James, can you act as 
release manager for RC2?  Sounds like Martin won't have time to do it.


> > From: Martin Cooper []
>First off, big thanks to Martin for adopting FileUpload and getting this
>puppy back in shape.
> > Now, about the Struts 1.1 RC2 release. The problem is the
> > staging needed to get FileUpload out the door. It's currently
> > at Beta 1, and the code base in CVS has some methods that
> > have been deprecated since Beta 1. The deprecated methods
> > need to be removed before 1.0 Final, which means that we need
> > a Beta 2 to publicise the deprecations. Then they can be
> > removed in an RC1, shortly to be followed (hopefully) by 1.0 Final.
> >
> > Much as I would like to see Struts 1.1 RC2 happen before
> > JavaOne, I just don't see how that can happen, given the
> > steps that FileUpload has to go through before a final release.
>Does this strike anyone but me as an example of the victory of process
>over sanity?
>Why does a deprecation/removal of some methods require a new beta?  If
>your code depends on the deprecated methods, you can stick with whatever
>you're using now until you can fix your code, and then use the release.
>If you don't, you can evaluate the RC, and an entire step can be saved.
>The entire Struts 1.1 release has been a Kafka-esq adventure in strict
>adherence to a set of rules that, IMHO, has done nothing but add months
>of delay to an already terminally late release.  It's hard to believe
>there's something that makes the JCP look speedy, but consider that in
>the time we've been struggling to get 1.1 out the door, JSF has gone
>almost completely from proposal to EA.
>Open source is supposed to be speedy and responsive, instead we're
>starting to make Microsoft look like a speed demon.  The Apache rules
>serve a good purpose, to prevent shoddy releases.  But at this point,
>we've got a major release hanging fire on (frankly) some relatively
>obscure supporting packages which aren't even used by the majority of
>the user community.
>If I were benevolent dictator for a day, I'd do a 1.1 RC2 now with the
>FileUpload Beta 2.  But, since we live in an enlightened society, I'm
>putting it up for a vote.
>As we've been reminded recently, this type of voice is non-veto-able,
>lazy majority
>+1 - Yes, release Struts RC2 with FileUpload 1.1 Beta 2 once Martin
>releases it.
>0 - Eh
>-1 - I prefer to delay Struts RC2 until FileUpload is in final release.
>The 72 hour voting cutoff is 3AM Eastern June 1
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>For additional commands, e-mail:

Protect your PC - get VirusScan Online

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message