struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Yes, it's another VOTE: RELEASE STRUTS 1.1 WITH DBCP NIGHTLY BUILD
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 10:18:01 GMT
For discussion purposes, I've added a standalone "struts-legacy" package
to the Contrib folder. It builds alone and with Struts, but I still have
to play-test it. I just wanted to get this up before I switched over to
the day-job.

The idea would be that instead of GenericDataSource wrapping DBCP, and
importing the Commons-DBCP and Commons-Pool JARS, we wrap our original
implementation instead. So, instead of creating a dependence on a
secondary Commons JAR, we create one on a secondary JAR of our own.

For Struts 1.1, we could bundle the struts-legacy jar (or whatever we
want to call it) in the binary distribution, as we do with the Commons
JARs. In a later release, we can remove the GDS default, and make the
legacy JAR a separate download.

If someone wants to compile the struts-legacy from source, they would
have to use Java 1.4, or comment out the gratuitous 1.4 signatures.

Since we are going to remove our GDS implementation, and DBPC is
stalled, this seems like the simplest solution.

-Ted.