struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject PropertyMessageResource cache management
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 07:25:29 GMT
It looks to me like the messages cache in PropertyMessageResources can
grow without bound, since messages.getMessage("hello.message",userName);
will put an entry into the cache for each userName.  Do I have this right?

If I do have this right, this will cause problems for high-volume apps
that use getMessage() with request- or session-specific parameters.  I
am seeing steady memory consumption growth in load tests where I use
this. Is there any bound to the size of the cache? I am also curious
about the impact that the synchronization may have under high
concurrency loads.  Has anyone tested this?

If I understand how the code is working correctly, it might be best to
allow the caching to be turned off or to do something in the way of
cache management (enforce time to live and/or max cache size).  Should I
submit patches/more detailed suggestions for this?  Has this already
been discussed?

Am I missing something?

Phil