struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Yes, it's another VOTE: RELEASE STRUTS 1.1 WITH DBCP NIGHTLY BUILD
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 10:14:15 GMT
David Graham wrote:
 > It's important to remember that the only reason we have commons-pool
 > as a dependency is because DBCP uses it.  Once we jettison DBCP from
 > our code we can also drop pool.
 >
 > I am -1 on this proposal because RC2 should also include a final
 > version of FileUpload.  I would be +1 on an RC2 proposal that included
 > final versions of all commons jars.  Why not just use the previous
 > release of DBCP?
 >
 > I've done a lot of work on our commons dependencies and Struts bugs
 > recently.  Sadly, I don't think I can help much more on DBCP as the
 > time requirement to get it released appears to be high and the
 > original authors are busy elsewhere.  I'm really hoping we can release
 > Struts 1.1 with the previous release of DBCP and drop the dependency
 > for 1.2 but we'll see what the rest of the team thinks...

The core issue is that we need a default DataSource connection pool for
the datasource element.

In Struts 1.0, we had our own GenericDataSource. GDS works, but only so
well. In Struts 1.1, being good citizens, we've been trying to migrate
to DBCP. For backward-compatibility, DBCP is actually being called from
inside a wrapper that makes it look like the GDS.

I've been using GDS in an intranet application, and it seems to work
well enough for that (so long as you use the pingQuery clause). I've
tried to switch over to DBCP earlier this year, but ran into issues (may
be those bugs they are trying to close), and rolled back to a
tried-and-true container-based pool. So, based on my own experience, I'm
not sure that I could vote +1 on using a prior version of DBCP.

The best option may be to rollback to the GDS. This is, after all, a
point release, and the GDS is at least a known factor. Without looking,
I imagine we should be able to just drop the wrapper and use it directly
again. If nothing else turns up, I'll give this a try later today. If it
works, I'll post a diff along with a vote to make this product change.

I'm surprised that there is not more interest in getting DBCP released.
It's being used by a couple of other products now, including Tomcat and
Hibernate. So, you'd think more people would be willing to chip-in. =:(

-Ted.