struts-dev mailing list archives

From Gareth Andrew <gareth.and...@ntlworld.com>
Subject Re: New Development... PipelineAction/ProcessActions capability.
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 10:50:45 GMT
Is this kind of competition good for struts?  I have no doubt that most
of the struts developers and several people who are considering becoming
struts devlopers have a lot of ideas for 1.2.x and 2.x struts features.
At the moment it seems to be bad ettiquette to discuss anything but the
current release - so most people are simply sitting on their ideas
quietly as you described.  Would it not benefit Struts if some of this
future development could take place out in the open - either in some
kind of struts sandbox or in a separate 1.2.x or 2.x branch.  Obviously
the danger is that the developers will stop concentrating on creating
timely releases and the future bracnches/sandbox will run away from
official releases.  AFAIK this is what happened between 1.02 and 1.1 and
as has already been discussed a much shorter, faster release schedule is
needed to combat this.  The sandbox/branch setup could make this a lot
easier, since code could still be in CVS and open to review before it
was even nominated for a particular release.

I'm fairly inexperienced with open source development and struts/jakarta
development so there is probably a big flaw somewhere, or this issue may
have been discussed many times over.  Feel free to educate me, this i
only my tuppence worth.

Gareth