struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Best way to build struts from CVS?
Date Thu, 01 May 2003 10:31:31 GMT
I think c2 would be b, since the idea is that Struts developers are
often Commons developers too and would have the Commons CVS checked out
and built. So the "ideal Struts developer" would have a current build of
the Commons stuff and would run the Struts build against that.

If you don't need the Commons code checked-out, a good approach is to
use a "repository" system.

* Download whatever dependent JARs you need to a common directory.
* Edit the build properties file to use that directory.

The current Commons JARs can be downloaded directly from <
http://gump.covalent.net/jars/ > so you don't need to grab the whole
gorilla if you only want the banana. =:0)

(The Gump JARs ink is down right now. I'll check on that.)

There are project management systems (like Maven) that can snag the JARs
for you as part of the build process. When we get past 1.1., I think we
will be looking at some likely candidates for this (Maven, Forrest,
Centipede).

I used the repository approach for some time, though now I'm moving back
to b. It's quite helpful to have all the source on hand if you are
stepping through the code in a debugger.

-Ted.

Phil Steitz wrote:
> Which is correct:
>
> a) Grab commons jars from most recent struts nightly
> b) Build commons jars from commons CVS
> c) Grab commons jars from most recent commons nightlies
> c) The "right way" that I have not yet stumbled on....
>
> What exactly does the struts nightly build do?  Dates inside commons
> jars seem to vary.
>
> Build.properties.sample seems to expect b) or c).  Does anyone have bash
>  or ant scripts that automate the commons prep?
>
> Phil

Ted Husted,