struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Yes, it's another VOTE: RELEASE STRUTS 1.1 WITH DBCP NIGHTLY BUILD
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 03:22:08 GMT

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Ted Husted wrote:

> So, by retrofitting the old GDS and adding the new 1.4 Connection
> signatures as "UnsupportedOperation", she compiles under 1.4 but
> *without* Commons-DBCP and Commons-Pool.

As soon as you try this, you're going to discover a very unpleasant fact
-- you cannot create a single source file of a class that implements
java.sql.Connection that compiles under both JDK < 1.4 and JDK >= 1.4.  If
you want to see the world's worst hack to get around this, take a look at
the commons-dbcp source code and the associated build script.

Such a class compiled under 1.4 will *run* on a < 1.4 platform (as long as
you don't reference the new methods that deal with a Savepoint).  But we'd
have to accept a restriction that you can only compile Struts on a 1.4 or
later platform.  That wouldn't bother me personally (I use 1.4
exclusively) but I suspect it would bother more than a few users.

Craig