struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Arron Bates" <struts-...@keyboardmonkey.com>
Subject Re: New Development... PipelineAction/ProcessActions capability.
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 11:55:33 GMT
> Is this kind of competition good for struts?  I have no doubt that most
> of the struts developers and several people who are considering becoming
> struts devlopers have a lot of ideas for 1.2.x and 2.x struts features.

What competition?... I was only talking about human nature more than anything,
workflow and such is going to be one of the big things on the horizon. But
there's no compete. I just want Brandon to get in there and have his piece
when it comes about. What he's got looks like it scratches an itch.

> At the moment it seems to be bad ettiquette to discuss anything but the
> current release

Can talk about anything Struts. It's bad ettiquette to "commit" anything but
the current release.

> so most people are simply sitting on their ideas
> quietly as you described.  Would it not benefit Struts if some of this
> future development could take place out in the open - either in some
> kind of struts sandbox or in a separate 1.2.x or 2.x branch.  Obviously
> the danger is that the developers will stop concentrating on creating
> timely releases and the future bracnches/sandbox will run away from
> official releases.  AFAIK this is what happened between 1.02 and 1.1 and
> as has already been discussed a much shorter, faster release schedule is
> needed to combat this.  The sandbox/branch setup could make this a lot
> easier, since code could still be in CVS and open to review before it
> was even nominated for a particular release.

For a tuppence you're pretty much on the money. There is a sandbox to play in,
and everyone's more than welcome to make components and ideas which use struts
but host them on their own sites, sorceforge or whatever. It allows a
community approval to form for a component before it's adopted. People
shouldn't be waiting for post releases or whatever to get involved by cutting
framework additions and other ideas. It's all good.

When there's a release cut, the focus does change, and people are opening to
new ideas. It's just the way it is. It too fun when you're cutting something
new, but I'd never wait to get it out there in some form or another.

> I'm fairly inexperienced with open source development and struts/jakarta
> development so there is probably a big flaw somewhere, or this issue may
> have been discussed many times over.  Feel free to educate me, this i
> only my tuppence worth.
>
> Gareth

Only advice anyone could give anyone for open source... just get your
stuff/opinion out there and give it a go. Suck it and see.

Arron.