struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RE: why only one instance of Action class (Action class thread safety)
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 22:36:26 GMT

On Tue, 6 May 2003, David Graham wrote:

> Why should we reduce dependency on the Servlet API?  Servlets are the Java
> standard web application technology.  Struts is a web tier MVC framework
> enabling fast application development.

One good reason is the upcoming Portlet API Spec (JSR-168), which is in
Community Review in the JCP process right now -- so public review is
probably not far down the road.  I would like to make it a strong goal for
Struts 2.0 that one be able to leverage Struts in either a servlet or
portlet environment, with minimal-to-no changes in your business logic and
pages.

As you'll see when Portlet goes public, this is going to require some
decoupling from the direct linkage to servlet apis.

> David

Craig