struts-dev mailing list archives

From "James Mitchell" <jmitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: bean:message with references to other messages
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:10:10 GMT
I was considering something similar for database implementation of
MessageResources, but I haven't moved on it yet.  The biggest difference
would be my using ${this.fomat} instead of ^this.format.  I also want to
guard against circular references as well.

--
James Mitchell
Software Developer/Struts Evangelist
http://www.open-tools.org

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paananen, Tero" <Tero.Paananen@GTECH.COM>
To: <struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 12:48 PM
Subject: bean:message with references to other messages

> We just implemented references using the bean:message
> tag.
>
> We have functionality in our application that sort
> of stretches the entire scope of the application and
> is using messages that are already defined for other
> UI screens. Our functionality in question is too
> generic to directly use the messages defined for the
> other screens.
>
> So we implemented references with the bean:message tag:
>
> // works like usual
> foo.bar.1=This is a regular message
> // refers to the above message
> foo.bar.reference=^foo.bar.1
> // reference to a reference, outputs foo.bar.1 in the UI
> foo.bar.ref.ref=^foo.bar.reference
> // ref to a ref to a ref (you get the point)
> foo.bar.ref.ref.ref=^foo.bar.ref.ref
>

> Message resources with values starting with the caret
> ("^") (could be any String, actually, but that's the
> way we implemented it to mimic how ATG Dynamo does the
> same thing) act as references. The current implementation
> is not checking or preventing people from defining circular
> references.
>
> This way we're able to reuse existing messages already
> defined and customers do not need to maintain the
> same message in multiple places, like this:
>
> generic.functionality.message1=^specific.functionality.what.ever
>
> Would people be interested enough in this solution
> to have it part of Struts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tero Paananen
> GTECH

> This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention, distribution
or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the
sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.  Also, email is
susceptible to data corruption, interception, tampering, unauthorized
amendment and viruses. We only send and receive emails on the basis that we
are not liable for any such corruption, interception, tampering, amendment
or viruses or any consequence thereof.