struts-dev mailing list archives

From Cedric Dumoulin <ced...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tiles insert tag was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/...
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:19:39 GMT

David Graham wrote:

>>  No. The parent definition only declare the attributes relevant to
>> the parent. A child (extending a parent) can add some new attributes.
>>  If an attribute is not used in a parent, you don't need to declare it.
>>  In your case, the attribute is used by the associated layout, but
>> you want the layout to ignore it (to show nothing).
>>

> Ok, I'll try the ignore attribute.  The change to insert tag has been
> removed.  It's strange that the error only occurs in WAS 5 and not
> Tomcat.

  Yes, this is strange.
  I have already seen this problem with a server  replacing the empty
string "" with a null  reference. In fact, the generated jsp code
doesn't set the attribute at all if the string is empty, so the
attribute is set to null ;-(. It is a kind of optimization that have a
side effect.
  Maybe the same happen with WAS 5. For me, this is a bug. Also, maybe
there is an option in WAS 5 to avoid such thing ...

   Cedric