struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Struts PlugIn Interface Mystery: Where does the second classcome from?
Date Sat, 29 Mar 2003 17:47:27 GMT

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Micael wrote:

> Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 08:05:37 -0800
> From: Micael <caraunltd@harbornet.com>
> To: Struts Developers List <struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re:  Struts PlugIn Interface Mystery: Where does the second
>     classcome from?
>
> Not sure why you said these things, and would like to know what reasoning
> is behind them.  There is only one webapp there.

Despite appearances, this is not always true.  Here is a very simple way
to cause the same web application directory to be started twice (on two
different context paths) and therefore start your daemon twice:

* Create a webapp in directory "$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/foo"

* Add a <Context> entry in your server.xml file like this:

  <Context path="/bar" docBase="foo"/>

What you've just done is started this app twice -- once under context path
"/foo" (because the directory was automatically recognized) and once under
context path "/bar" (because you explicitly created it with the <Context>
element).

>  I would not know whether
> this were a Tomcat-Users or a Tomcat-Dev question or a struts question.  It
> happens, as I said, with PlugIn but not without PlugIn, so seems that it
> might be struts related or interesting to people in a Struts context.  So,
> I am not sure that this was an inappropriate post, even now.

Because it happened *without* Struts as well as with Struts, that's the
clue that it is probably not something Struts-specific, and therefore more
relevant on TOMCAT-USER since you are using Tomcat.  In fact, TOMCAT-USER
has historically covered this issue quite a few times -- do searches for
keywords like "twice" and "two times" and you'll get some hits.

Craig