struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Building Struts and Servlet/JSP Versions
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 17:05:02 GMT
FYI, it turns out we have one additional servlet/JSP versioning issue.  I
put in a patch last night to add "jsp.jar" to the classpath (if it is
set), because the servlet and JSP jars were separated for Servlet 2.4 /
JSP 2.0.  But it turns out this is not sufficient to support building
Struts against these JAR files.

In Servlet 2.4, some additional methods got added to HttpServletRequest,
which causes compile errors on
org.apache.struts.upload.MultipartRequestWrapper.  However, if we were to
add the new methods and try to delegate them to the underlying request
object, we'd break compiling against Servlet 2.2 or 2.3.  (This wouldn't
happen if we were 2.3-minimum, because we could just use the provided
wrapper base class).

To avoid breaking backwards compatibility, I propose that we just add some
comments to the release notes that say:

* You must compile Struts 1.1 source against a 2.2 or 2.3 servlet.jar file

* If you use Struts 1.1 in a Servlet 2.4 environment (like Tomcat 5),
  the MultipartRequestWrapper object will not expose the new request
  methods.

Craig