struts-dev mailing list archives

From dmk...@earthlink.net (David M. Karr)
Subject Re: [VOTE] Declare Struts 1.1b3 as Struts 1.1 RC1
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2003 20:51:19 GMT

    Ted> As it stands, struts-el has been documented as a contribution and does not
    Ted> appear with the other developer guides (mea culpa). Making it a standalone
    Ted> distribution is just a matter of changing the build script. This would then
    Ted> allow David to make a new release of struts-el without forcing a new release of
    Ted> the core framework.

You certainly can't take all the blame for the lack of Struts-EL documentation,
I haven't given you very much to integrate.

    Ted> So, I will have to join David Karr in casting a negative vote as to promoting
    Ted> the beta to a release candidate as it is now built, on the grounds that
    Ted> struts-el should be distributed separately.

I guess my only problem with this argument is that Struts-EL releases have to
be closely tied to Struts releases.  It doesn't just "use" Struts, like other
contributions, it's interface has to exactly mirror the Struts interface.
Except for some occasional minor bugs I've found in Struts-EL, the only real
changes I've had to make were to reflect changes to tag attributes in the base
library.  Once Struts 1.1 is released with Struts-EL, I'm not sure I'd want to
make any more releases of Struts-EL, until the next Struts release (unless I
find any non-interface problems).  If I made a Struts-EL release reflecting
changes to the Struts nightly build (after 1.1), then we'd have the situation
of a Struts-EL release which had to be used with a nightly build of Struts, and
not the latest release.