struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: New PMD and Checkstyle tasks
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 23:35:28 GMT

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Martin Cooper wrote:

> Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 12:32:25 -0800 (PST)
> From: Martin Cooper <martinc@apache.org>
> To: Struts Developers List <struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: New PMD and Checkstyle tasks
>

> On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Bill Chmura wrote:
>

> > Sounds great... I've used checkstyle for a while now and it has done a
> > good job for the most part.
> >
> > About the 9,000 errors it produced (maybe errors is not the right word)
>
> Yah - perhaps I should have said 'violations'.
>
> > - a good many of them are probably due to the difference between the Sun
> > Coding standards and the Apache coding standards.  I have mostly
>
> Well, the default coding conventions in Jakarta *are* the Sun coding
> conventions, so I'd say we have a problem... ;-)

That's something we can change if we want to define our own (Struts
project wide) standards.  I'm game if people want to spend some time doing
this (although I've got some emotional attachment to certain stylistic
patterns, it's not the most important thing in the world).

The existing code base, as many have observed, does *not* conform to a
single specific style standard, because it (and my personal adaptation of
the Sun coding standards) evolved over time and/or I finally started doing
some things ({ ... } around single-statement conditionals) that I should
have been doing from the very beginning.

It would help the readability of the code (and therefore understandability
for all developers) to have a single commonly used style.  However, I've
got two requests:

* Let's have a *very* brief discussion and agreement on
  a single style, if we can.  I've seen marriages break
  up over the color of a carpet -- developers fighting
  over this issue would be equaly stupid.

* Once we decide on a style, the task of adadpting the
  existing code starts.  Please ensure that, if you're
  doing the checkins for that, you ***only*** do the
  formatting changes on a single commit -- no sneaking
  functionality changes in :-).

> --
> Martin Cooper

Craig