struts-dev mailing list archives

From "David Graham" <>
Subject Re: struts-config.xml datasource vs. Tomcat's Connection Pool
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 14:47:38 GMT
Since Struts stores the DataSource in the ServletContext you can reference
it outside of Actions.  I prefer the struts method because it's container
independent.  If you're always going to use a particular container then that
reason doesn't matter.

>From: "Matt Raible" <>
>To: <>
>Subject: struts-config.xml datasource vs. Tomcat's Connection Pool
>Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 00:28:13 -0700
>I've heard that the data-source definitions in struts-config.xml use
>Common's DBCP, just like Tomcat 4.1-5.0 uses for it's connection
>pooling.  Is it then safe to say that implementing a data-source via
>struts-config.xml will give you the same connection pooling architecture
>as configuring it in Tomcat's server.xml? What is the difference between
>the two?  I'm guessing that if you configure in struts-config.xml, you
>have to access your connection in an action, and if you do it in Tomcat,
>you can access it via JNDI.  Is that a fair analogy?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message