struts-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-str...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: modifying the mapping input path during validation
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2002 20:58:23 GMT
I'm getting more than I bargained for here with the whole tiles aspect,
so I might be done helping now that the complexity has gone up, but just
a bit more here....

Brian Moseley wrote:
>       <action path="/admin/role/EditFormPrepare"
>
> type="net.covalent.spider.ui.action.portlet.admin.role.EditFormPrepareAction">
>       </action>

You need name="..." for this action mapping.  That should solve the
issue, it seems.

> all of these forwards execute in the context of the same
> RequestProcessor tho, right? so presumably the EditForm instance gets
> passed all the way down the forward chain through the tiles controller
> invocation mechanism to EditFormPrepareAction?

Yes, but only if you tell your action mapping the form bean associated
with it, and from what you showed above, you don't.

> is this an instance of "evil action chaining"? if so, what actually is
> the evil?

It was a joke.  I dig action chaining.  Others do not.  See previous
thread a few days ago.

> yeah, there's no "cleaner" way that i can think of. my team is
> especially wary of using the session scope for managing page flow, so
> rewriting the forward path in the action is the least offensive hack :)

Or keeping the form bean around and using it.  And I agree with the
session scope page flow comment - its not necessary in my experience.

	Erik