struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Overloaded Setters in Form
Date Tue, 24 Dec 2002 19:44:53 GMT

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Edgar P. Dollin wrote:

> Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 13:47:18 -0500
> From: Edgar P. Dollin <edgar@blue-moose.net>
> To: 'Struts Developers List' <struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: Overloaded Setters in Form
>
> I switch between booleans and strings for actions and imbed actions into
> a 'generic' class.  Struts currently, doesn't have a problem with this
> (at least in the current versions).
>
> Is there a chance this will stop working?

You'll have to give us an example of your sources (apologies if you've
done this already).  If you are overloading getters and setters today, and
you're using BeanUtils and PropertyUtils mechanisms to call them (which is
what Struts does when dealing with form beans) , it should not be working
now.

If you're using introspection to directly pick a Method to call, and
bypassing the PropertyDescriptors, then you are not subject to the design
pattern restrictions on method names -- none of that is relevant since you
are not treating them as properties.  But you would also be confusing
everybody else on this mailing list who is going to assume (like I did)
that you're talking about using the standard reflection mechanisms for
JavaBeans *properties*.

> Edgar

Craig