struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RE: [Vote] Modify classloading in RequestUtils
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2002 23:34:35 GMT

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Ted Husted wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:17:52 -0500
> From: Ted Husted <husted@apache.org>
> To: Struts Developers List <struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: RE: [Vote] Modify classloading in RequestUtils
>
> 11/7/2002 3:02:34 PM, Martin Cooper <martin.cooper@tumbleweed.com>
> wrote:
> >For what it's worth, I believe we agreed, prior to the release of
> >1.1-b2, to drop support for Tomcat 3.2.x in favour of support for
> >3.3.x.
>
> Is this something we want to add to the release notes?

If we're not going to deal with the class loader issue (and, based on our
discussions of related bugs, we considered that too risky to implement),
we probably should.

> I'm not finding the reference, and so I don't know what we should
> say exactly.

In a section that talks about "Supported Environments" we could either
include a list of the platforms we have explicitly tested on (with
pointers to any particular platform-specific gotchas that we've documented
in our installation docs), and/or list the platforms we specifically know
there are problems on, with the recommended replacement.  There are
probably enough special cases to make both lists useful -- perhaps in a
table per platform with entries like this:

  PLATFORM              VERSION        SUPPORT NOTES

  Tomcat                3.2.x          Not supported, use 3.3.x instead
                        3.3.x          Supported
                        4.0.x          Supported
                        4.1.x          Supported

> -Ted.