struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Going to other context and/or server in 1.1
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:20:11 GMT
Try using a "SuccessAction" that returns a real live ActionForward

return findForward("success");

with something like this

<forward name="success" path="http://jakarta.apache.org" contextRelative="true"/>

and see if that gets you out.

The internal forward= action is already module/context relative. In 1.0, I had been using
forward= inside the
application and ForwardAction to get out.

Maybe ForwardAction should always be contextRelative, since it's stated purpose is to let
us interact with other
servlets, which implies it shouldn't understand modules at all.

I think there's another ticket in there about ForwardAction bypassing the RequestProcessor.
May be it needs to
create an ActionForward on the fly and set it to contextRelative=true, and then just return
that.

I think a lot of people may be using ForwardAction when the ActionMapping.forward would be
better suited, and
maybe we need to clarify the difference.

I think ForwardAction is for hooking up with other servlets, applications, or domains, and
ActionMapping.forward
is for hooking up with other Struts resources in the same module, like JSPs.

-Ted.