struts-dev mailing list archives

From Arron Bates <struts-...@keyboardmonkey.com>
Subject Re: Nested taglib with EL?
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 05:38:46 GMT
JSTL can let you get through to nested beans, but it hasn't the foggiest
idea as to how to go about making a nested property structure for the
input tag so the Struts servlet can process it the way we all love the
Struts servlet doing its nested bean thang.

Nested tags for now manage this better. But, if people start thinking
(the way they do) that "this technology is the future and everything
else is bad"... then the Nested tags will be some kind of a casualty on
the side of the road of group adoption.

As for the EL, the property property should probably be left alone, but
EL working on value evaluations and such would be groovy. Looking at how
Dave's done the struts-el so far, it's just like what I produced for the
nested tags (using the extension), so it could happen. The evaluation of
the property property would have to happen before the nested tag works
out what it's doing in relation to the parent tags. EL on the property
property would be dicey as it would have to evaluate exactly to the
nested reference. I don't feel like being tech support for that one. :)

The nested tags will be a solution to a set of problems where at least
for the moment there is no other answer. Played with recursion/trees
yet?... :P

Arron.