struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-struts/contrib/struts-el build.xml
Date Wed, 02 Oct 2002 15:12:01 GMT

On 1 Oct 2002, David M. Karr wrote:

> Date: 01 Oct 2002 22:14:33 -0700
> From: David M. Karr <dmkarr@earthlink.net>
> To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: cvs commit: jakarta-struts/contrib/struts-el build.xml

>     Craig> On 1 Oct 2002, David M. Karr wrote:
>     >> Date: 01 Oct 2002 21:14:26 -0700
>     >> From: David M. Karr <dmkarr@earthlink.net>
>     >> To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
>     >> Subject: Re: cvs commit: jakarta-struts/contrib/struts-el build.xml
>     >>
>     >> >>>>> "craigmcc" == craigmcc  <craigmcc@apache.org>
writes:
>     >>
>     craigmcc> craigmcc    2002/10/01 18:50:13
>     craigmcc> Modified:    .        build.xml
>     craigmcc> contrib/struts-el build.xml
>     craigmcc> Log:
>     craigmcc> Update the main build.xml file to include struts-el in the new "contrib"
>     craigmcc> directory, so that the binaries will be included with nightly builds.
>     >>
>     >> Also, if Struts-EL is being built by default, what will happen if someone
tries
>     >> to build it with a 2.2 servlet.jar?
>     >>

>     Craig> Good point ... it should probably be made conditional based on the
>     Craig> presence of Servlet 2.3 (and the JSTL jars, for that matter).
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean that it can't be provided in the
> nightly build, unless we do both a Servlet 2.2 and Servlet 2.3 build?

The nightly builds are created against Servlet 2.3 already.  If you
download and use the nightly build in a Servlet 2.2 environment, you can't
use the struts-el stuff, but it doesn't change anything else that is
created -- so I don't see a need to create two different versions.

> I've tested a change to the top-level build.xml to only build it if "jstl.jar"
> is set (and I put my "jstl.jar" setting in my top-level build.properties file),
> but I didn't try to do anything with a Servlet 2.2 build.
>
> I've got my announcement note written, and ready to send, but I have a feeling
> I may have to delay/change it, based on this.

If you want to go ahead and check in the conditional change to the
"dist.contrib" target, that would be great.

Craig