struts-dev mailing list archives

From struts-...@japache.org
Subject ActionForm initialization
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 14:13:38 GMT
I've read several topics debating this. These discussiosn leave the issue ambiguous. I've written
couple of notes in "struts-user," but received no response. This makes me think it's an architectural
issue, perhaps best addressed in this forum.

What I want to be able to do is described in my topic:
http://japache.org/forums/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=121582

Having the ActionForm store a reference to a value object allows us to easily use the Struts
framework to update values, but still provides an intermediate set of values (that can be
in an invalid state). Our Action classes (or whatever logic we'd like) controls when to try
to apply this data to the model.

(Updating this value-object, or some model directly, is what Swing does. In fact, it's the
*point* of Swing's approach to models -- earlier GUI component designs had data stored with
each component. This data had to explicitly applited to some model. This was problematic in
terms of syncing data across viewing components, hence the Swing approach.)

Does the architecture have a standard way of handling this, or not? (Again -- the key question
is how/where to initialize the ActionForm property referencing the value object.)