struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Struts Website Look and Feel
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:15:51 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, James Holmes wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:21:44 -0700 (PDT)
> From: James Holmes <jholmes612@yahoo.com>
> To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Struts Website Look and Feel
>
> I've noticed that some of the other Jakarta projects
> have taken on a new Look and Feel.  I saw this for
> BCEL project.
>
> Craig/Ted: Is there a place to get more details on
> this?  Is there a roadmap/requirement for when all
> projects should switch over to it?  I can try and
> tackle this for the Struts pages.

For the Jakarta web site, check out the "jakarta-site2" module from CVS --
that's what generates it.  The incoming data format is XML, transformed by
Anakia (from Velocity) and/or DVSL -- I don't remember the details at the
moment.

You'll also notice that some project-level documentation is now being
generated with Maven (Turbine et. al. and a bunch of the Commons projects
use this).  Maven is a pretty intriguing tool that tries to manage a bunch
of stuff for the develoeprs (everything from syntax/style checks to
automated test runs to generating docs), which most people do with custom
build.xml scripts, in a manner that's consistent across projects.  It
works by delegating the grunt work to shared scripts, so when you update a
Maven version all your projects immediately benefit.  See
<http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven> for more info.

I'm quite interested in exploring Maven as the build environment for
Struts after 1.1 (and after they go 1.0 and start promising some backwards
compatibility :-).  This would probably be done in a new repository, and
give us the chance to reorganize things a little as well.

Once we switch, we'll automatically have the opportunity to use the new
docco generation stuff as well.  However, I'd rather not try to rock the
boat in the short term.  Sound reasonable?

> -james
> james@jamesholmes.com
> http://www.jamesholmes.com/struts/

Craig