struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: initConfigDigester refactoring?
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:26:10 GMT

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Jesse Alexander (KADA 11) wrote:

> Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:22:09 +0200
> From: "Jesse Alexander (KADA 11)" <alexander.jesse@csfs.com>
> To: Struts Developers List <struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: initConfigDigester refactoring?
>
> Hi,
>
> about the config-file, validation and extension...
> We have in our framework a configuration file (XML...) that
> is validated against a dtd. But it remains extensible.
> We do it by allowing at various places inthe dtd a
> property-attribute (which basically is a mapping for a name-value pair).

Is that like the <set-property> element that is used various places in
struts-config.xml files, for exactly this purpose?

> In this way the values that must be validated go into the dtd and
> can be also defaulted. Who needs special-values can put them
> into property-attributes that can then be read by the interested
> parties.
>
> Maybe something similar could ease the Gotcha in Brian's idea.

The "arbitrary property" works great when you only want to add a couple of
JavaBeans properties to some subclass you are configuring.  It doesn't
work so well for more complex cases, as Brian illustrated in his response.

It also completely breaks down when you'd prefer to have an entire set of
nested XML elements and attributes for use in configuring the component,
instead of just a set of additional attributes on one element.

> regards
> Alexander

Craig