struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TR: Struts dependencies
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:13:42 GMT

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:08:46 +0200
> From: Arnaud HERITIER <aheritier@sopragroup.com>
> To: "Struts-Dev (E-mail)" <struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: TR: Struts dependencies

Putting version numbers in JAR file names has been the topic of raging
debate over the years, and there is not likely to ever be consensus.  What
there *is* consensus on, though, is a META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file that
contains correct versioning information so that you, and more importantly
build tools (like Maven) can tell what versions of what packages are
inside the JAR.

> I know this isn't a struts problem and it would be a bad idea for the struts
>
> team to start renaming the jar files from other Jakarta projects. But would
> it be possible for all Jakarta projects to follow this standard? That would
> make my and I'm sure a lot of other people's lives easier.
>
> Is this a bad idea, if so why?
> I know it would make the creation of build scripts a little harder, but it
> would still be possible to create them.
>
> The other option is the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file.
> Most jar files contain there version number in them but not all.
> For example Version 2.0 of commons-collections.jar manifest file contains
> 'Implementation-Version: 1.1-dev' and not 'Implementation-Version: 2.0'

That sounds like a bug that should be reported against
commons-collections.  Could you please file a bug report?

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

> While struts.jar version 1.1-b1 contains 'Implementation-Vendor: Apache
> Software Foundation'
> Would it be possible to enforce this a bit more?

What should be enforced about "Implementation-Vendor"?  If you mean just
putting this line in, the best way to make that happen is to file bugs
against the offending packages.

> Just me 2 (euro) cents.

Craig