struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Clóvis Yutaka Harada" <clo...@scopus.com.br>
Subject RE: Struts & Filters (Servlets 2.3)
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:41:02 GMT
what about Interfaces and Adapters ?
Similar to how swing works.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Speed [mailto:pspeed@progeeks.com]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 2:53 PM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: Struts & Filters (Servlets 2.3)

Ted Husted wrote:

[ snip ]

> So to start a Struts 2.0 list
>
> + Require Servlet 2.3 / JSP 1.2
> + Controller as Filter
> + Tag extensions as add-ons to JSPTL
> + PropertyEditor Support

What do you envision using PropertyEditors for?

> + Declarative exceptions handled by Controller
> + Multiple controllers, multiple configurations
> + Direct support for Commons Workflow
> + Direct support for chaining Actions without a forward or redirect
> + More entry points in class methods for subclassing
> + Reconsider all class and attribute names, to make the heirarchy more
> accessible to newcomers.

[ snip ]

I could add one:
+ use interfaces and abstract base classes instead of just base
  classes.

The examples of that one are numerous and the change would make the
framework more flexible.  A standard set of base classes would be
what most people would use but since the framework itself would be
calling the interfaces it allows those of us living on the edge to
write our own base classes.  Living on the edge implies that we'll
just deal with the fact that our code may break with successive
versions.  The change is especially nice for experimenting with
new ideas.

For example, combine that idea with moving BeanUtils type of calls
into the formbean base class and all you'd have to do is create a
new formbean base class for dealing with Map objects.

Anyway, those are the things that popped into my head.
-Paul