struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Niall's if/then/else tags?
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2001 06:17:28 GMT

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 martin.cooper@tumbleweed.com wrote:

> Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 20:49:36 -0700
> From: martin.cooper@tumbleweed.com
> To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Niall's if/then/else tags?
>
> I agree with this. In particular, I'd like to see tags of this type
> incorporated in JSPTL. They currently have <if>, and
(although I
> believe those can be constructed from the others).

The if/then/else pattern can indeed be constructed from
choose/when/otherwise tags in JSPTL.

The reason that Struts never had an "else" tag in the first place is that
the syntax choices were all incredibly ugly, IMHO, given the restrictions
on the way you need to nest things to make it work.  The
choose/when/otherwise pattern in JSPTL is the least objectionable, and has
the additional advantage of gracefully implementing if ... else if ...
else if ... type patterns as well.

Given that choose/when/otherwise does this (and more), I would be somewhat
surprised if the JSPTL expert group was willing to consider adding
explicit if/then/else tags as well (because they would be redundant).  But
the best way to find that out would be to provide feedback on the JSPTL
early access release (available via <http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs>)
to the email address included in the docs.

> --
> Martin Cooper

Craig