I have couple of issues with the best way to handle the possible incorporation of the validator custom JSP tags into Struts. I'll go through each of the issues. I made two custom jsp tags for errors based off of the Struts' tags. One was validator:errors which is the equivalent of html:errors except it iterates through the errors instead of just printing them. This is necessary to remove the html formatting from the message resources (for generating error messages in JavaScript for example). I also made a header and footer attribute that are optional so you can specify a header and footer as something optional instead of automatically have 'errors.header' and 'errors.footer' included in the output of the tag if they exist. I did some work on making the standard html:errors tag iterate if an id attribute is used and otherwise work the way it currently does, but if you have a lot of jsp pages with html:errors they probably all use 'errors.header' and 'errors.footer' which you wouldn't want to be printed in a case like Example 1. I could make it work like the validator:errors tag with an optional header and footer attribute if the id attribute was used so this wasn't an issue. Anyway I'm not sure if it is becoming a bit confusing making so much dual functionality all in one tag and it makes sense to keep it a separate tag that could go in 'org.apache.struts.taglib.validator'. I'm leaning towards adding a separate tag, but I wondered what others thought. Example 1 (possible modified Struts Tag): Example 2:
  • Example 3:
    The validator:errorsExist was just a convenient shorcut not to have to put the key for the errors into the logic:present tag. I'm thinking that even though it seems nice to have, it doesn't belong in the main Struts' project. The tag that generates JavaScript is currently separate from the from html:form. I have a couple of ideas. One is to leave it totally separate like it already is. The other is to have a javascript="true" added to html:form so there wouldn't be an extra tag. Another is that it should be placed inside the body of html:form so it can automatically get the formname, but leave it so it can be overridden. Basic use of tag matching it to the bean of the form in scope. This only generates the dynamic JavaScript for this form so you can make a reference to the static JavaScript on a separate page to take advantage of browser caching. I hope I was clear (especially describing the issue with the errors tag). Let me know any thoughts or other ideas on this. David __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/