struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Lacerda, Wellington (AFIS)" <Wellington.Lace...@fao.org>
Subject RE: custom tag as attribute of another custom tag
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 14:07:17 GMT
No, a custom tag is not admissible as a tag attribute.
You can pass your attributes in a Map.

Wellington

-----Original Message-----
From: Brennan.OShea@alltel.com [mailto:Brennan.OShea@alltel.com]
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 4:08 PM
To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: custom tag as attribute of another custom tag

Can someone tell me if it is possible to have a custom tag as an
ATTRIBUTE of another custom tag?  I have been unable to find the answer
to this question.  I am trying to use a <bean:write/> within the "href"
attribute of <html:link/> in order to dynamically get the value of
"Param3" which is in bean "ampp".  See below:

name="ampp" property="AMTRSD00.trDept"/>">
	<bean:message key="myLinkText"/>

The compile error I get is:

"javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: You must specify a name attribute if
the property attribute is present"

It seems to me that this would be an fairly common requirement of custom
tags.  I could modify the <html:link/> tag to always evaluate the "href"
attribute to see if the <bean:write/> tag is present and if so retrieve
that value -- but that doesn't sound very clean.  I am trying to use
custom tags as much as possible and Java scriptlets as little as
possible.  I could use the standard HTML <a/> instead of <html:link/> or
else continue to use <html:link/> and retrieve the value with Java
scriptlet -- neither of which is ideal.

Thanks for your help.

Brennan O'Shea