struts-dev mailing list archives

From James Howe <...@allencreek.com>
Subject BaseHandlerTag implementation question
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:40:29 GMT
I have a question concerning the way the
org.apache.struts.taglib.html.BaseHandlerTag class is implemented.  In
particular, I'm wondering why the methods "prepareFocusEvents",
"prepareTextEvents", etc. are private instead of protected.  I ran into
this today because I wanted to build a custom "text" tag.  I was hoping to
be able to make a simple extension to struts by subclassing TextTag and
overriding the prepareTextEvents method to do some custom
behavior.  Unfortunately, since prepareTextEvents is private, I can't do
that.  I'm wondering if anyone can offer a good reason for making these
methods private?

Thanks.