struts-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Client/Server Side Validation for Struts 1.1
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2001 16:12:53 GMT
We're not only talking just about language now, we're talking about
validating things like telephone numbers and postal codes based where
the user is located, regardless of what language they prefer. Michael's
example was a Spanish-speaking resident in the US, who might be in the
ES locale as to language, but would be in the US location as to
telephone and postal code. I run into this myself, since we are on the
Canadian border. We share the same telephone format but different postal
codes. So, during validation we need more granularity than what is
usually associated with locales.

Perhaps some applications need two "locale" settings, one for language
preference and another for location, and our validation routines may
need to be written to recognize that.