struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Rapheal Kaplan" <r...@mimir.net>
Subject RE: XSL instead of JSP
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 20:58:01 GMT
Well, what I was thinking is that most of the presentation of struts is
rightfully pushed off to JSP, which like Cocoon, is really just another
stand along servlet.  I think all we really need is a few support libraries
for Cocoon.

I think it might well be as simple as developing XSP tag libraries that are
the same as the JSP tag libraries for form input.

However, then there is the fact that I think that cocoon really should not
be used for form input (we tried that where I used to work).  A framework
for that is sort of something altogether different.  But it can be done.
There may even be applications where doing so is a good idea.

But for display of large and complex things, I believe Cocoon is really
nice - less the performance issues.

-----Original Message-----
From: Taylor Cowan [mailto:tcowan@silverstream.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 4:53 PM
To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: XSL instead of JSP

I don't know a lot about Cocoon, but I believe it is similar to Struts in
that it has a "master" servlet which is awakened by requests matching a
particular expression.  In that sense they are mutually exclusive.
Sometimes I'm tempted to consider the benefits of combining the two but I
always end up realizing its not an improvement.  For example, if you want
some view feature of struts, it would be better to do it in XSL with Cocoon,
not combining the two.

One way I can see a combination is where the app is basically struts, but an
include page (either through frames, templates, jsp:include or @ include )
is sourced from Cocoon.  Basically a portal with a window into Cocoon, since
iteraction with Cocoon is just a URL.  But still the two frameworks act
independently.

Taylor