struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: 0.5 syntax gone when?
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2001 22:38:05 GMT
"Steven D. Wilkinson" wrote:

> Thanks for the response Craig.
>
> In future releases can you give your view of how long the deprecation will be supported?
 i.e. Will it only exist for
> one release like the 0.5 syntax or will it just be a case by case determination of what
is removed and when?

It's going to be case by case, so it's hard to say with any certainty.  What we should probably
talk about, though, is a
little more on philosophy.

It's also fair to say that the intention is to have relatively few deprecations in future
releases (*far* fewer than 0.5
-> 1.0).  Most of the things we are discussing can be added in ways that are backwards
compatible with existing APIs.
The large number of changes now is so that the 1.0 platform can remain a stable, long term,
base for development.

You can see that pattern in action if you review the way that several tags have received new
optional attributes in the
last few weeks.  In the vast majority of cases, the new behavior can be used if desired, but
the default behavior is
exactly as it was, so that existing uses of those tags remains compatible.

> Thanks in advance,
> Steve

Craig

> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
> >
> > "Steven D. Wilkinson" wrote:
> >
> > > I was wondering when the 0.5 syntax and action.xml configuration file would
go away?  Version 1.1, 1.2 or 2.0?