struts-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Moore <Howard.Mo...@datapulse.com>
Subject RE: BaseFieldTag
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:51:13 GMT
See intermixed comments.

I'm not sure this is true. In section 17.12.2 of the HTML 4.01 spec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#adef-readonly) it says;

"The following elements support the readonly attribute: INPUT and TEXTAREA."

which suggests that it *IS* correct to support the readonly attribute on
input elements.

> In 4.01, however, there is a "disabled" attribute on most of
> the tags of
> interest.  Do enough browsers support this that it would be worth
> implementing?

The disabled attribute (supported on BUTTON, INPUT, OPTGROUP, OPTION,
SELECT, and TEXTAREA attributes) behaves slightly differently to readonly.
In particular elements marked disabled are greyed out and their values are
*NOT* submitted with the form (unlike readonly fields).

In IE4.0 and IE5.5 readonly only appears to work on the textarea element and
input elements of type file (5.5 only), password and text. The disabled
attribute works for all elements except optgroup and option (optgroup
doesn't appear to be supported).

In Netscape 4.6 neither readonly or disabled work at all.