struts-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Leland <Rob...@freetocreate.org>
Subject Re: Request to reserve two hidden field names
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2000 18:29:25 GMT
It's going to take me a while to digest what you have said since I am
new at this. So for now I won't reply to all you have said.

> Class attribute:
> * You need to keep the state of the form in a multiple state form. That way,
> you can disable the [Back] button of the browser.

Personally, I would want to always do this for just that reason. Then w/o
rewriting
the URL with request parameters how can the HTML convey what actions the
user has taken without using the use of hidden fields ?
In the case of values the user has selected on the same form the values would be

reflected in the ActionForm class. So I don't see the distinction between
Class attributes and hidden fields.

I am thinking in terms of DATA and CONTROL information. Buttons which trigger
a submit are CONTROL information. The DATA can also determine what actions
are taken but not by the dispatch mechnism in struts.

> The action hidden field is so commonly used that it could be integrated in
> the ActionForm class, with the get/set functions.

This would be a good thing to do in a version 1.1 of struts. This was one
advantage of having the ActionForm as a Interface, though I can add that
via Inheritance.

> Just a few ideas...Pierre M├ętras

Thanks !!!

Rob