struts-dev mailing list archives

From BugRat Mail System <tomcat-b...@cortexity.com>
Subject BugRat Report #207 has been filed.
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 15:22:35 GMT
Bug report #207 has just been filed.

   <http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/207>

REPORT #207 Details.

Project: Struts
Category: Feature Requests
SubCategory: Enhancement
Class: docbug
State: received
Severity: cosmetic
Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: 20001004
   JVM Release: 1.3
   Operating System: NT
   OS Release: 4.0 SP6a
   Platform: NT

Synopsis:
Make doc for "define" tag mention how it is similar, but different from, jsp:useBean

I'm a reasonably well-experienced Java programmer, but I'm really just getting started with
web development, and even more so with Tomcat and Struts, so when I'm reading this documentation,
I can confidently claim objectivity, as most of this is new to me.

So, when I started reading the Struts docs, I came to the "define" tag, and after reading
it over once, I thought it did exactly the same as the "jsp:useBean" directive.  Then, I realized
it essentially is "jsp:useBean", but at the bean property level, not the bean itself.

My suggestion is, make that evident in the doc for this tag, stating its similarity, but difference
from "jsp:useBean".  If it says that in the first paragraph, us informed newbies won't glaze
over, thinking this is nothing new.

It's always helpful to try to read these docs from the point of view of an experienced Java
programmer completely new to tomcat and tag libraries.