struts-dev mailing list archives

From "Hutchison, Jeff" <j...@inst.strykercorp.com>
Subject Re: ErrorsTag
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:07:24 GMT
On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> > "Hutchison, Jeff" wrote:
> > What I've got in the works:
> >
> > ValidatingActionForm - new interface
> > ValidatingActionFormBase - new abstract basic implementation of above
> > ActionMapping - added inputForm property
> > ActionMappingBase - added inputForm property implementation
> > ActionServlet - modify perform to check for instanceof
> > ValidatingActionForm
> >

> A couple of questions and comments:
>
> * The ValidatingActionForm interface will extend the ActionForm interface, right?
>   It only needs to add the validate() method.

Yes.

> * I'm not sure that we really need ValidatingActionFormBase -- it's
> only one method in the standard interface.

Your probably right, especially since validate() now is so simple.
I'll take it out.

> * Why does ActionMapping need a new property?  Can't we just re-use the
>   formClass property?  A particular form class can be validating or not, and the
>   controller servlet will figure that out at runtime with an "instanceof" check.

The formClass property is a class name while the inputForm property is
a URI that points back to the calling form so we can forward back to
the original form if validation failed.  Just like the failure
property in example's ApplicationMapping.

-jh

--
Jeff Hutchison <jhut@inst.strykercorp.com>
Stryker Instruments Kalamazoo, MI