streams-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackmon <sblack...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Activity + roadmap + quarterly goals
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:48:30 GMT
Hello Streams Community,

I finally put some more detail around each of the key project priorities on the confluence
wiki:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Roadmap

I invite your review, edits, and discussion on wiki or on this thread.

Also, there are 5 open pull requests I’d appreciate reviews for.  I think we can begin
the release of 0.6.1 immediately there-after.

Steve Blackmon
On Jan 20, 2019, 10:51 AM -0600, Steve Blackmon <sblackmon@apache.org>, wrote:
> Thanks for starting this thread.  Responses in-line.

> On Jan 19, 2019, 5:07 PM -0600, Joey Frazee <joey.frazee@icloud.com.invalid>, wrote:
> > I don’t think it should be super surprising to anyone to say that Streams could
be having a bigger impact if we could kick our activity up a notch. The hard thing is figuring
out how to get us there, so I wanted to open a discussion on that.

> > I think the following would be good places to start:
> >
> > a. If we had a formalized roadmap with more starter or bite-sized tasks, I think
it’d make it easier for new or existing contributors alike to spend time on the project.
Yes, some of this is in JIRA, but I think making it more of a document too would be useful.

> We’ve accumulated a short list of roadmap initiatives, each a good deal of work potentially,
with potentially high impact on project capability or quality, enumerated here:

> https://github.com/apache/streams/blob/master/src/site/markdown/roadmap.md
>
> Maybe a good place to start would be to work through the specifics of each on the wiki,
with the goal of defining success for each, and breaking up into actionable stories.

> > b. There’s also the current backlog of course. As part of (a) I think we can talk
about what in the backlog we really want to do.

> Our backlog clearly needs signficant culling to make room for the community’s current
priorities.

> Related, we have modules (some with open tickets) which have seen no activity since graduation
or longer

> Any that aren’t essential to the projects core mission of data interoperability I think
we should discuss retiring and deleting.

> > c. We can’t ignore community development of course. Craig Russell has encouraged
a lot of projects to look at some of what Beam did [1] and I’m pretty sure most of us have
read it. It’s probably worth having a second look at though.

> This is true; every board report we’ve acknowledged that attracting new users, committers,
and PMC members is important - but we’ve lacked a coordinated approach and the discipline
to succeed at this.

> > d. If we wrap all this up into some quarterly goals, we’ll know what we’re working
towards. I think if we got (a) done that’d be a great place to start.

> I’d love to see us retire dead code, get a binary and source release out, clean-up
the backlog, and spec out a year’s work of specific tasks (at current team size) by April.
 This is achievable if we rally as we have before.