streams-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackmon <sblack...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Activity + roadmap + quarterly goals
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2019 16:51:06 GMT
Thanks for starting this thread.  Responses in-line.
On Jan 19, 2019, 5:07 PM -0600, Joey Frazee <joey.frazee@icloud.com.invalid>, wrote:
> I don’t think it should be super surprising to anyone to say that Streams could be
having a bigger impact if we could kick our activity up a notch. The hard thing is figuring
out how to get us there, so I wanted to open a discussion on that.

> I think the following would be good places to start:
>
> a. If we had a formalized roadmap with more starter or bite-sized tasks, I think it’d
make it easier for new or existing contributors alike to spend time on the project. Yes, some
of this is in JIRA, but I think making it more of a document too would be useful.

We’ve accumulated a short list of roadmap initiatives, each a good deal of work potentially,
with potentially high impact on project capability or quality, enumerated here:

https://github.com/apache/streams/blob/master/src/site/markdown/roadmap.md

Maybe a good place to start would be to work through the specifics of each on the wiki, with
the goal of defining success for each, and breaking up into actionable stories.

> b. There’s also the current backlog of course. As part of (a) I think we can talk about
what in the backlog we really want to do.

Our backlog clearly needs signficant culling to make room for the community’s current priorities.

Related, we have modules (some with open tickets) which have seen no activity since graduation
or longer

Any that aren’t essential to the projects core mission of data interoperability I think
we should discuss retiring and deleting.

> c. We can’t ignore community development of course. Craig Russell has encouraged a
lot of projects to look at some of what Beam did [1] and I’m pretty sure most of us have
read it. It’s probably worth having a second look at though.

This is true; every board report we’ve acknowledged that attracting new users, committers,
and PMC members is important - but we’ve lacked a coordinated approach and the discipline
to succeed at this.

> d. If we wrap all this up into some quarterly goals, we’ll know what we’re working
towards. I think if we got (a) done that’d be a great place to start.

I’d love to see us retire dead code, get a binary and source release out, clean-up the backlog,
and spec out a year’s work of specific tasks (at current team size) by April.  This is
achievable if we rally as we have before.