streams-dev mailing list archives

From Joey Frazee <joey.fra...@icloud.com.INVALID>
Subject [DISCUSS] Activity + roadmap + quarterly goals
Date Sat, 19 Jan 2019 23:06:50 GMT
I don’t think it should be super surprising to anyone to say that Streams could be having
a bigger impact if we could kick our activity up a notch. The hard thing is figuring out how
to get us there, so I wanted to open a discussion on that.

I think the following would be good places to start:

a. If we had a formalized roadmap with more starter or bite-sized tasks, I think it’d make
it easier for new or existing contributors alike to spend time on the project. Yes, some of
this is in JIRA, but I think making it more of a document too would be useful.

b. There’s also the current backlog of course. As part of (a) I think we can talk about
what in the backlog we really want to do.

c. We can’t ignore community development of course. Craig Russell has encouraged a lot of
projects to look at some of what Beam did [1] and I’m pretty sure most of us have read it.
It’s probably worth having a second look at though.

d. If we wrap all this up into some quarterly goals, we’ll know what we’re working towards.
I think if we got (a) done that’d be a great place to start.

What do you all think?

-joey

1. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/373e1c1427f16142a3ffd7c2f9b3639bf3c343c80e9c893bd861a740@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E