streams-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackmon <sblack...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reactive Streams API and Java 9
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2018 17:12:22 GMT
 Thanks - Let’s take a close look at this after the 0.6 release.

Steve

On Jan 25, 2018 at 6:43 PM, Matt Franklin <m.ben.franklin@gmail.com> wrote:

+1. Makes a ton of sense.

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 1:05 PM Suneel Marthi <smarthi@apache.org> wrote:

+1 to move to Java 9

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 9:57 AM, Steve Blackmon <sblackmon@apache.org>
wrote:

Hello,

There have been a few threads going back several years about whether we
could align Apache Streams components to the Reactive Streams
specification.

This came back to me last night when I read that Reactive Streams
interfaces are built into Java 9, along with new classes under
java.util.concurrent that facilitate connecting publishers and

subscribers

and handle message passing between them within a JVM.

Wanted to bring this up on the list to find out if anyone would be
interested in working on a proof-of-concept adapting a provider to use
these new capabilities instead of or in addition to the interfaces in
streams-core, and all of that providers tests to remove the dependency on
streams-runtime-local that I think we’ve established consensus that we

want

to deprecate.

Also, to find out whether anyone is fundamentally opposed to switching

to a

strict Java 9 dependency in Apache Streams, before spending significant
time working on this. As context, Oracle has announced that maintenance
releases for Java 8 will cease in September 2018.

sblackmon@apache.org