streams-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackmon <sblack...@apache.org>
Subject Reactive Streams API and Java 9
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2018 17:57:41 GMT
 Hello,

There have been a few threads going back several years about whether we
could align Apache Streams components to the Reactive Streams specification.

This came back to me last night when I read that Reactive Streams
interfaces are built into Java 9, along with new classes under
java.util.concurrent that facilitate connecting publishers and subscribers
and handle message passing between them within a JVM.

Wanted to bring this up on the list to find out if anyone would be
interested in working on a proof-of-concept adapting a provider to use
these new capabilities instead of or in addition to the interfaces in
streams-core, and all of that providers tests to remove the dependency on
streams-runtime-local that I think we’ve established consensus that we want
to deprecate.

Also, to find out whether anyone is fundamentally opposed to switching to a
strict Java 9 dependency in Apache Streams, before spending significant
time working on this.  As context, Oracle has announced that maintenance
releases for Java 8 will cease in September 2018.

sblackmon@apache.org